Saturday, May 9, 2009

Birthmother's Day

Many of you may not know this, but today (the Saturday before Mother’s Day) is Birthmother’s Day. As I sit here and think about it, there are so many things I wish I could let Michael’s birthmother (and his birthfather for that matter) know. It could not have been easy for her to let go of this precious little boy, but living in China it may have been the only choice that she had. I imagine that she couldn't afford either the fee for a second child or the medical care that was necessary.

I wish I could tell her that he is safe and has a good home. He has a mother and a father, a large family, and many friends who love him dearly. He takes on the world with a handsome smile and a laugh that warms the heart. He is bright, funny, inquisitive, mischievous, fearless, and rambunctious. He is one of the bravest kids that I know. She would be so proud of him.

However, what I really wish I could tell her is that she did the right thing; she gave him life. By her giving him up, he was able to get the medical attention he needed. By her giving him up, he now has a future full of endless possibilities. By her giving him up, we have a son. For that, I will always be grateful. For that reason, today will be a day that we remember her.

No comments: